Junior Software Engineer
San Francisco, CA Full Time
Jr.DevJobs Estimate: $71,511
10 days ago
App Academy is building world-class training programs that help students from all backgrounds transition into careers in tech. Our core offering is a 12-week immersive coding and job search program that trains full-stack web developers. In 2017, we were named one of the top coding bootcamps in the world. We have been profiled in The Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, and Bloomberg as a driving force behind the changing face of tech education in America. Our unique model — we defer tuition until our students graduate and secure jobs afterwards — aligns us with the success of our students. Join us on our mission to empower people to transform their lives.
About the Role
At App Academy we are constantly innovating on a handful of products and courses. Our team maintains a range of products from internal tools to consumer-facing online platforms and we enable rapid development across these platforms through better automation and more cutting edge technologies. As a new member of our small but mighty team you will build on top of and improve our serverless platform, the business logic that powers our products, and bring new knowledge and expertise to the team.
- Serverless (on AWS)
- Node.js and Golang (polyglottic)
- Ruby on Rails (legacy)
- Postgres (legacy)
- You will work on our Frontend platforms and develop UI as components.
- You will write new test cases and logic for product and development needs on top of our serverless platform.
- You will help out with migration out of legacy platforms (mostly Ruby on Rails).
- We are a small company and looking for people who can thrive in a collaborative environment that goes beyond a single team, as a member of our team you will hold meetings and discussions around product features with stakeholders.
- Teach and Learn. We are unique as a team in this area. You will spend part of your time spreading knowledge or exploring new technologies both internally and externally (oss, articles, presentations). After all, we are in the business of education and we are looking for people who share our commitment to this mission.
Experience & Qualifications
- Expertise in React/Redux, and good understanding of component-driven development
- Experience with either Node.js/Golang/Ruby
- A working understanding of Continuous Integration tools
- Working experience with SQL or NoSQL Databases
- Experience with TDD and an avid user of the process.
Nice to Have's
- Open-source contributions, this helps us asses you better
- A JS, CSS enthusiast
- Experience with Rails
- Experience with AWS is a big plus
- A passion for the education industry is a big plus!
- Take responsibility for student success. Everyone works together to enable student success.
- Follow the numbers. Decisions should be backed by data.
- Embrace a growth mindset. View challenges and failures as opportunities to improve.
- Start with why. See the big picture and question the status quo. If there’s a better way of doing things we should investigate it.
- Create an inclusive environment. We work together to promote empathy and respect amongst all students and staff.
- Competitive salary
- Unlimited paid time off
- Employer-sponsored health insurance plans with 100% support for premiums
- Delicious catered lunch twice a week
- Great location in San Francisco with easy access to transportation options
- Generous paid family leave program
- The opportunity to work with driven and talented colleagues committed to lifelong learning
App Academy is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. We believe strongly that technology companies benefit from diversity and encourage applicants from underrepresented backgrounds to apply.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
Learn more about our students, staff, and community at our blog here: https://blog.appacademy.io/