Junior Software Developer
Applied Research Associates, Inc
If you want to accelerate your career growth and are passionate about applying your expertise to solve problems of national importance, then we have the job you are looking for! You will be able to achieve your personal and professional goals in a stable environment that emphasizes and rewards the entrepreneurial spirit
You will be a key member of a team that is developing simulation tool technologies to support real-world planning and intelligence operations for the Department of Defense. You’ll become familiar with unique research areas such as weapons effects, weaponeering, computer vision, machine learning, and cloud-based capabilities. ARA is recognized for providing technically superior solutions to complex and challenging problems in the physical sciences, and you will be on this team
If you’re interested, here’s what year one is all about:
- Exercising the experience you’ve gained with modern software design principles and Object Oriented software design principles.
- Applying technologies in multiple domains and problem areas (structural engineering, computer science, automation, physics, and machine learning to name a few).
- Gaining expertise in areas such as scientific visualization and multi-threaded algorithm design to develop compelling visual effects.
- Solving challenging real-world customer problems and communicating complex concepts to non-expert audiences.
- Working directly with end-users, customers, and other teams to collaboratively solve challenging problems.
Realistically, you need a BS or MS in computer science, engineering, physics or a related field
On-Site Junior Software Developer Position Requirements:
- BS, MS degree in a computer science or engineering related field
- 0-2 years' relevant work experience
- Experience in both C++ and Python programming languages
- Team Player with excellent communication skills and the desire to work in a dynamic software development team environment (e.g. Agile, Scrum, XP practices)
- Due to the work you’ll perform and interactions with the intelligence community and DoD programs, a TS/SCI security clearance is preferred, but a TS security clearance with SCI eligibility is accepted
Applied Research Associates, Inc. is an employee-owned international research and engineering company recognized for providing technically superior solutions to complex and challenging problems in the physical sciences. The company, founded in Albuquerque, NM, in 1979, currently employs over 1,100 professionals and continues to grow. ARA offices throughout the United States and Canada provide a broad range of technical expertise in defense technologies, civil technologies, computer software and simulation, systems analysis, environmental technologies, and testing and measurement. The corporation also provides sophisticated technical products for environmental site characterization, pavement analysis, and robotics.
While this is all of the Year One and Beyond stuff, Day One is highly impressive too. These are things like our competitive salary (DOE), Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP), benefits package, relocation opportunities, and a challenging culture where innovation & experimentation are the norm. At ARA, employees are our greatest assets. The corporation realizes that employee ownership spawns greater creativity and initiative along with higher performance and customer satisfaction levels.
ARA is passionate about inclusion and diversity in our workplace, in 2018 40% of our new employees voluntarily self-identified as protected veterans. (Source-AAP EOY 2018 Veterans Data Collection Report). Additionally Southeast Division has its own Women’s Initiative Network (WIN) whose purpose is to motivate, support, and encourage professional career development for women in order to maximize career and professional accomplishments. Our division is also very socially oriented with activities for our employees ranging from attending a local baseball game in the summer to monthly get-togethers, board game lunches, holiday party, corn hole tournaments and so on! For additional information and an opportunity to join this unique workplace, please apply at careers.ara.com
- Less than 2 year(s): Relevant Work Experience
- Bachelors or better in Computer Science or related field
- Masters or better in Computer Science or related field
Licenses & CertificationsRequired
- Security Clear Top Secret
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.